World of Schools

News

Jul 24, 2026

FS1 or FS2? The complete story behind UAE's school age cut-off change, and how to decide

For UAE families with a child born between September and December, this year's school admissions process has involved something most parents never expected to navigate: a genuine policy debate playing out in real time, with real consequences for where their three or four year old starts school in September. If you have found the story confusing, that is not a failure of understanding on your part. It has unfolded in stages since December 2025, and even now, families are still working through what it means for their specific child. Here is the complete picture in one place.

Where this started: the original policy change

In December 2025, the UAE Ministry of Education announced it would shift the school-entry age cut-off for children entering Foundation Stage 1 (FS1) under the British curriculum, and equivalent early years stages in other curricula, from August 31 to December 31. Under the new rule, a child qualifies for FS1 if they turn three by December 31 of the admission year, rather than by the end of August as before.

For reference, the equivalent year groups across the UAE's main curricula are:

  • Pre-KG: FS1 (British), Petite Section (French), Pre-KG (others)
  • KG1: FS2 (British), Moyenne Section (French)
  • KG2: Year 1 (British), Grande Section (French)
  • Grade 1: Year 2 (British), Cours Préparatoire (French)

The change was designed to align UAE admission rules more closely with international standards, and it particularly benefits children born between September and December, who previously had to wait an extra year to start school compared to peers in many other countries. The new rules apply to Pre-Kindergarten, KG1/FS2, KG2/Year 1, and Grade 1/Year 2 admissions from the 2026-27 academic year.

Where it got complicated: February 2026

The policy's practical rollout, however, created genuine confusion. Many families had assumed the updated rules would apply only to new admissions going forward, not to placements they believed were already confirmed. As schools began implementing the change in early 2026, that assumption turned out to be wrong for a meaningful number of families, and offers began being withdrawn.

Parents like Eshanka Wahi found themselves facing a difficult scenario. Her elder son, born in October 2022, had been registered to join FS1 in September 2026. Under the revised rule, he would instead need to skip a year entirely and go straight into FS2, becoming the youngest in his class with classmates up to sixteen months older than him. Her younger son, meanwhile, was being asked to start FS1 at just two years and nine months old.

Cristina Rusu described a similar disruption: her daughter had already been enrolled in FS1, only to be told she would need to move to FS2, where no places were available. As Wahi put it, families who had applied for coveted schools years in advance, in some cases when a child was just six months old, were now watching confirmed offers rescinded because FS2 classes had no space.

Schools moved quickly to expand capacity in response. Marah Kadoura, Principal of Woodlem American School in Ajman, said schools were prioritising early applicants while working to accommodate students newly eligible under the revised criteria, expanding KG1, KG2 and Grade 1 capacity even as some classes were already nearly full.

The clarification: KHDA's one-time transition measure

Facing sustained pressure from parents requesting flexibility, the Ministry of Education issued a clarification in February 2026. Schools and parents, the Ministry said, may jointly decide whether FS1 or FS2 is the most suitable placement for a child. If a child is not found ready for FS2, they may instead be enrolled in FS1 the following academic year.

Crucially, this flexibility was framed as a one-time transitional measure specifically for children affected by the shift in cut-off dates, not a permanent standing option. The Knowledge and Human Development Authority (KHDA) subsequently confirmed a one-time transitional arrangement for the 2026-27 academic year specifically, giving eligible children flexibility around entering FS1 or FS2, subject to eligibility requirements.

One detail matters enormously for families weighing this decision: once a child is placed in a year group under the revised regulations, that decision cannot later be changed. There is no built-in option to move a child between year groups after enrolment, which is exactly why so many families have been seeking reassurance before committing.

Where things stand now: July 2026, and how schools are actually deciding

With the new academic year now weeks away, the conversation has shifted from policy confusion to something more practical: how should a family actually decide between FS1 and FS2 for their specific child?

Sarah O'Regan, Principal and CEO of GEMS Wellington Academy Silicon Oasis, said the school has seen a noticeable rise in enquiries from affected families. The most common questions, she said, relate to the long-term implications of choosing either FS1 or FS2, particularly whether a child could move between year groups later or repeat a year if needed. Because placement decisions cannot be altered once made, she said, parents understandably want confidence that they are making the right choice before enrolment, not after.

Svenja Cassia, Director of Admissions at Nord Anglia International School Dubai, described a similar pattern of enquiries. Some families are seeking reassurance that their child is genuinely ready to start school earlier than they had originally anticipated, while others are asking whether there is any flexibility to delay enrolment in line with the traditional British curriculum cut-off dates they had originally planned around. A distinct group, she noted, are expatriate families weighing how the change might affect continuity of their child's education if the family relocates overseas in the future, since school systems elsewhere may still follow the older August 31 cut-off logic.

Why age alone should not be the deciding factor

Educators are consistent on one point: chronological age should not be treated as the sole basis for deciding between FS1 and FS2. According to O'Regan, the Foundation Stage is a critical period in which children build the foundations for a lifelong love of learning, which makes genuine readiness, not just a birth date, the more important factor to weigh.

This is echoed by a broader body of early years research. A recent review found that school readiness depends on a combination of interacting developmental indicators, spanning cognitive, language, socio-emotional and motor skills, rather than age in isolation. In practice, this means two children born in the same month can be at genuinely different stages of readiness, and a placement decision built purely around a cut-off date risks missing that.

How schools are assessing readiness in practice

To help families navigate the decision, many UAE schools have built structured readiness assessments directly into their admissions process for the 2026-27 intake.

Stay and Play sessions have become a common tool. These give prospective children the chance to interact with teachers and experience the actual classroom environment before a placement decision is finalised. For families of children born between September 1 and December 31, 2022, specifically, schools are also arranging direct meetings with the Foundation Stage leadership team to discuss the most suitable starting point for that individual child.

O'Regan was clear that readiness assessment goes well beyond academic ability. The school's Early Years team, she said, considers each child's social, emotional and developmental readiness through structured observation during Stay and Play sessions, not a single test or interview. At Nord Anglia International School Dubai, Cassia described a similar approach: enrolled children take part in Stay and Play sessions specifically so the Early Years team can observe development holistically across academic, social and emotional dimensions, ensuring each child is placed in the learning environment that genuinely supports them from day one, rather than the one that simply matches their date of birth.

What UAE parents should do right now

For families of children born between September and December 2022 still working through this decision, a few practical steps matter most in these final weeks before term starts.

Engage directly with your shortlisted school's Foundation Stage leadership team rather than relying on the policy alone to guide the decision. Every school quoted in this story has built a specific consultation process for exactly this situation, and that conversation, grounded in your own child, will tell you more than any general guidance can.

Take up Stay and Play sessions if offered. These are specifically designed to surface readiness signals that an age cut-off cannot capture: how a child separates from a parent, how they engage with instructions, how they interact with peers and new adults.

Understand that this year's flexibility is genuinely one-time. The option to choose between FS1 and FS2 for an affected child is a transitional measure tied specifically to the 2026-27 academic year and this specific cohort of children. Families should not assume the same flexibility will exist in future admission cycles once the December 31 cut-off is fully embedded.

Confirm the placement is final before accepting it. Because year group placements cannot be changed after enrolment under the revised regulations, this is not a decision to make provisionally with a plan to adjust later. If there is genuine uncertainty, raising it directly with the school's admissions and Foundation Stage team before signing is the only way to resolve it within the system as currently designed.

If you are relocating internationally, ask specifically about continuity. If a move outside the UAE is a realistic possibility during your child's early years, ask your shortlisted schools how a UAE Foundation Stage placement is likely to translate if your child later enrols in a school following the traditional August 31 cut-off elsewhere.

The bigger picture

What has played out over the past eight months is, in many ways, a live example of how significant an early years policy change can be for families, even when the underlying goal, aligning UAE admissions more closely with international norms, is a reasonable one. The rollout exposed a real gap between policy intent and family experience, and the response, an expedited clarification, a one-time transitional flexibility measure, and a wave of structured school-level readiness assessments, reflects both the Ministry and individual schools working to close that gap for the families most affected.

For UAE parents further along in the process now, the reassurance worth holding onto is this: the system that exists today is considerably more responsive to individual readiness than the one that existed in December 2025. Age still sets the starting eligibility, but genuine readiness, assessed properly through direct engagement with your school, is what is actually shaping where children end up this September.


Sources:

Khaleej Times, "UAE school admissions: FS1 or FS2? Parents seek clarity as age cut-off changes reshape enrolment decisions" by Nandini Sircar (July 23, 2026). https://www.khaleejtimes.com/uae/uae-school-admissions-age-cut-off-fs1-fs2-parents-seek-clarity 

Khaleej Times, "UAE school admissions explained: What the new age cut-off means for parents, students" by Nandini Sircar (December 18, 2025). https://www.khaleejtimes.com/uae/education/uae-school-admission-new-age-cut-off-explained 

Khaleej Times, "UAE parents seek clarity as new school admission age rules affect placements" by Nandini Sircar (February 5, 2026). https://www.khaleejtimes.com/uae/education/new-school-admission-cut-off-dates-affect-placements 

Khaleej Times, "UAE schools expand FS2, Grade 1 capacity to meet rising demand amid new age cut-offs" (February 2, 2026). https://www.khaleejtimes.com/uae/education/schools-expand-fs2-grade-1-capacity-rising-demand-new-age-cut-offs 

Khaleej Times, "UAE clarifies age cutoff for school admission, 'one-time measure' for some pupils" by Meher Dhanjal (February 12, 2026). https://www.khaleejtimes.com/uae/education/uae-age-cutoff-school-admission-british-curriculum-clarification 

Khaleej Times, "Parents urge authorities for flexibility as UAE changes school entry age rules" (February 10, 2026). https://www.khaleejtimes.com/uae/education/parents-urge-flexibility-uae-school-entry-shift 

Khaleej Times, "FS1, FS2 admissions in UAE: Schools start parent consultations under revised age rules" (February 18, 2026). https://www.khaleejtimes.com/uae/education/fs1-fs2-admissions-uae-schools-start-parent-consultations-revised-age-rules 

Khaleej Times, "UAE early years admissions: What the new age rule changes mean for your child" (February 19, 2026). https://www.khaleejtimes.com/uae/schools-and-parents/uae-early-years-admissions-new-rule-changes-explained 

Global reach

Showcase your Ad with us

Stay informed with the latest developments in global education.

Contact us
Students